Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cloud 10's Think Tank |SOUND OFF|: University of Ottawa vs. Ann Coulter


University of Ottawa – 1 Ann Coulter – 0


Yes, Ann Coulter on behalf of the citizens of Ottawa and the diverse population of students of Canada we have won. You thought that Freedom of Speech would allow you permission to abuse that charter right and spew your vitriol and hate monger here in Ottawa. You were so wrong if you thought you could get away with your disparaging remarks against your favorite targets like Jews, Muslims and Christian. Well you were proven wrong! The students of the University of Ottawa whom you referred to as bush league institution way beneath the likes of Harvard; took a stance against your hateful agenda.

Many argue that Ann –yes I will refer to her as Ann I do not think she deserves the dignity of being referred to as Ann- should have been allowed to proceed with her speech. I however, see no place for such dialogue in a country predicated upon respect and celebration of diversity. She gets up on the podium and says everything bad and then what, she gets booed off of the stage or her safety is further compromised? Nah stop that ignorant woman in her tracks before she could even let some of her nasty language seep out. I see it alarming that there are individuals who would want Ann to speak freely. What purpose does it serve except to berate and oppress minorities? She can keep her thoughts and ignorance to herself.

Ann sees her vernacular as thought-provoking satire; ok if insulting and slapping people around verbally is your idea of satire then you madam are delusional. Ann you are right about one thing! You have the right to Freedom of Speech – just not here in Canada.

Excerpts from Ann Coulter’s brief stay in Ottawa via the Globe and Mail..

“The University of Ottawa is really easy to get into, isn’t it?” she said in an interview after the canceled event. “I never get any trouble at the Ivy League schools. It’s always the bush league schools.”

“Since I’ve arrived in Canada, I’ve been denounced on the floor of Parliament — which, by the way, is on my bucket list — my posters have been banned, I’ve been accused of committing a crime in a speech that I have not yet given, I was banned by the student council, so welcome to Canada!”

The “accusation” of which Coulter speaks is a reference to an e-mail she received from University of Ottawa vice-president and provost Francois Houle on Friday, warning her that freedom of speech is defined differently in Canada than in the U.S. and that she should take care not to step over the line.

“I’m pretty sure little Francois A-Houle does not need to travel with a bodyguard,” she said. “I would like to know when this sort of violence, this sort of protest, has been inflicted upon a Muslim — who appear to be, from what I’ve read of the human rights complaints, the only protected group in Canada. I think I’ll give my speech tomorrow night in a burka. That will protect me.”


Ladies and Gentlemen, Ann Coulter!!!



So what are your thoughts should Ann be allowed to speak on public platforms??


P.S. Did you know Ann was dating Jimmy Walker...yup DY-NO-MITE JJ from Good Times...get the -insert gasp- out of here!!!

LV

No comments:

Post a Comment