Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cloud 10's New Artist Spotlight: Yelawolf



Who is Yelawolf (@YelaWolf) you may ask? Well this young rapper hailing all the way from Alabama is about to make some serious noise on the music scene.  Before you start comparing dude to Eminem or Bubba Sparxx one listen to his album and you can hear that although he might be white he has a distinct style that has been bred by his Southern roots.




Via Yela's Myspace Page...


"Born Michael Wayne Atha to a single mother in Gadsden, Alabama - Yelawolf would find the word “home” used loosely over pretty much his entire pre-adolescent and teenage years. Holding down residence in Baton Rouge, Franklin, TN, Nashville, Atlanta and hometown Gadsden of course would be expected for a military brat, but he wasn’t. In fairness… some good came out of his nomadic upbringing because the love for Hip-Hop grew while living in Antioch, TN starting around 93’. The suburban neighbor on the outskirts of Nashville ushered a young Yelawolf a wide view to street life and an appreciation to Hip-Hop courtesy of artists like Snoop Dogg, Three 6 Mafia, N.W.A., IceCube, Souls of Mischief, Digable Planets, UGK, Skinny Pimp, Nappyhead and Goldteeth along with local artists like Southside Hustler and Haystack. “Antioch is where Hip-Hop really became real to me, that’s where I started writing raps. It was like… I already knew about Hip-Hop, but I really didn’t jump head in first until I moved there.” There’s no denying that living in Music City and its following neighborhoods helped give him his creative spirit. “I actually got suspended for my first rap there too. I was going to this school called Carter Lawrence in downtown Nashville. “I started writing this one particular rap and my boy was like ‘let me get a copy of that’ and I was in the principal’s office making copies… please don’t ask me why, but I wanted to give people a copy. While I was in the office the principle was like let me see that and he snatched it up and it was a bunch of profanity in it because I was just basically at that point obviously emulating all of my favorite rappers, so he suspended me and called my mom to come and get me."


Believe me when I say this dude is NICE on the mic and will be making some SERIOUS noise soon!!  He has already secured a record deal on Columbia in conjunction with Gheto-Vision Entertainment and has received endorsement by some Hip Hop heavyweights.  Big ups to Yela!!

LV

Here are some cuts you should be checking for!!

Pop The Trunk 


Good To Go feat. Bun B


Lick the Cat feat Diamond of Crime Mob


Mixin Up The Medicine featuring Juelz Santana


Trunk Muzik

No comments:

Post a Comment